Have you ever imagined what would life be like if there were no television? How would people have spent their time? Fortunately such hasn’t been the case because these electrical appliances have been entertaining people for decades now. But over the years, a lot has changed because CTRs have long been replaced by LEDs and LCDs.
So why are LCDs so in demand as compared to CRTs?
- Slim Factor: CRTs are usually bulky just like a monitor. On the other hand, LCDs are much slimmer and are capable of saving much space.
- Screen: Usually in CRTs, the viewable area is 1 inch smaller than the actual screen. While in LCDs both the visible area and the screen is the same.
- Flatness: Many CRT manufacturers will claim that they offer true flat screens but, in reality they are mostly fake. Rather than the actual screen, the outer surface is flat. In LEDs and LCDs, the screens are 100% flat with even viewing angles.
- Radiation: CRTs emit electromagnetic rays which though are filtered by a heavy glass still are hazardous. Precisely for this reason, people prefer LCDs in this respect.
- Weight: Compared to CRTs, LEDs and LCDs are much lighter. An average LCD of 17 inches could weigh around 6 kg while the same for a CRT is 16 kg.
- Power usage: CRTs use more than 200% of the power used by LCDs. A 17 inch CRT can use up to 90 watts while the equivalent for its counterparts is 35 watts.
- Glare: The glare is too much for CRTs, which is why special filters are used to block them. In the case of LEDs, there is very little glare.
- Sharpness: Considerably lower sharpness in image quality in CRTs compared to LEDs or LCDs. Moreover, the resolution of LEDs has started to come in High definition which will never happen in the case of traditional televisions.
- Heat: When run for a considerable time, CRTs gets heated up in the back while LCDs heats up very little.
So it’s quite evident that LCDs score big time over traditional TV sets. But it’s not to say that old CRTs don’t have any merits. Longevity, for instance, is a rarity in electrical appliances these days, but old CRTs are known for their durability. There have been several instances when these old equipments have run for decades without any major maintenance. But due to our progressive nature, they are hardly in demand these days and manufacturers too refrain from producing them.