Global positioning systems or GPS are devices that tell you exactly where you are anywhere on earth. It works by having a hand held device that sends out signals to three or more satellites orbiting above the earth and the satellites triangulate your exact position.
Today, the technology market is offering different kinds of GPS devices for different navigation activities. There is a GPS device specifically designed for scientific purposes, handheld GPS devices for hiking and outdoor activities, which can fit into pockets and the most common is the dashboard mount GPS for vehicles, which is very useful for city navigation.
Since the dashboard GPS is the most popular type of GPS device, let us examine the different features that you should look for in this type of GPS which can be very helpful and useful when you drive around unfamiliar places.
- Custom routes – of course, the main purpose is to put into the GPS the routes that you know so that you would not have to input the same route again when you go into the same place. With a single touch on the screen, the custom routes that you’ve programmed would be immediately displayed.
- Waypoint – waypoints are markers within the GPS device. It can be programmed before or during the trip. This allows you to get from point A to point B in no time.
- Traffic reports – up to date traffic reports are essential on a GPS device so that it would allow you to take alternate routes to avoid heavy traffic situations, thereby being efficient on gasoline and vehicle usage.
- Voice guidance – this feature allows you to drive without being distracted because you are always looking at the GPS device. A voice would prompt you to turn left or right towards your destination without taking your eyes off the road.
- Speed limit – this is a must have feature on a dashboard GPS because it helps you keep track of your speed limit. Also, the GPS would give you the speed limits in the area without having to look for speed limit signs.
- Points of interests – these are pre-programmed destinations that are popular in a particular place. This would help you easily find tourist spots or popular restaurants or places in a certain area.
- Screen resolution – obviously, the bigger the screen, the easier it is to navigate using the GPS. The screen resolution should be a standard 800×480, allowing you to view maps and satellite images with ease.
- Zoom capabilities – this feature allows you to view maps easily by viewing the map at the biggest scale possible. Having this feature lets you navigate big cities with ease.
- Battery capacity – a GPS that is to be used for city driving or road trip navigation should have a long battery life for those long drives. The standard battery life should be 4 hours or more.
- Custom accessories – the GPS device itself should have available custom accessories. For example, the GPS device should have a car mount or dashboard mount so that the device could be securely placed in the car while driving. Also, car chargers are available on the market for your GPS device so that you could use the device without worrying about battery life or low battery situations.
Furthermore, there are other features that a dashboard GPS device could offer but the aforementioned items above are the essential features. Having these great features on your GPS would totally help you in navigating those new places that you will be visiting either for business or leisure activities.