GPS is an abbreviation for Global Positioning System and this navigation system works through a satellite orbiting around the planet Earth. GPS uses these satellites for calculating geographical positions that show accuracy up to the mark of a meter and even more. Advanced forms of Global Positioning System can provide you with the accuracy of even a centimetre.
Applications of GPS
GPS has not only been in use for pinpointing the people carrying the devices, but also the buildings and other important localities. It is also useful to get the location of a ship or a submarine in the ocean. As of today, the technology is finding its way into tracking cars, boats, planes, submarines, computers, gadgets and even laptops these days.
Practicality of GPS
• Know the location of people you want to find.
• Easily plan a road trip to the places you have never been before.
• Helps you in emergency situations for example; if your car breaks down or some mishap takes place at your home. By just calling for help, others can track you down through GPS.
• Keep track of your pets by using collars with built in GPS.
• Get to your desired location at a faster pace by eliminating long routes and making your way through shortcuts and correct directions.
• Track your important luggage, laptops and other valuable stuff while travelling.
• Track your friends and family in a crowded place or any other social gathering.
• While going on a vacation feel free to take some time off your group and move according to your own interests and choice.
Pros & Cons of GPS Tracking solutions
• You just have to carry a single unit around to guide you through the directions.
• GPS not only points the direction but also tells you about the distance you have already covered and much more is left to move to the destination.
• It tells you the vertical distances, that is, the altitudes in addition to the horizontal distances.
• The particular unit runs on batteries. They can always run out at any point so for that purpose you might have to carry extra batteries which add weight to your bag pack.
• GPS unit is an electrical device and it needs to be handled with great care.
• These units are expensive as it is a new and needed technology.
• For efficient performance, GPS tracking system requires a strong signal to function properly as the navigation is carried out through the satellites. So, it will not work properly if you are in a cave, building, thickly dense forests and it can just be a foggy day to affect the results.
GPS technology is allowing huge changes that can take place for the betterment of tracking conscious society. Everyone can install GPS tracking system on smartphone and other cellular devices in order to track his family, business and spouse. The system’s efficiency is continuously increasing simultaneously decreasing cost factors and this is what for which its demand is going higher and higher with each passing day.